KUMQUAT IN SYRUP
- 500 g of strained kumquats from the can
- 500 g sugar
- 200 – 250cc of the water used to preserve the kumquats
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- The zest from half a lemon
- 1/2 cup of orange juice
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A few cardamom seeds.
- Pierce the kumquats with a toothpick or a fork.
- Boil all the ingredients in a pot except for the kumquats.
- Cook for a further 20 minutes at a light boil.
- Add the kumquats to the pot and cook for about 15 minutes while stirring lightly being careful to not crush the fruit.
- Remove the kumquats with a slotted spoon or colander and transfer them into a large sterilized jar.
- Cover the Kumquats with the liquid.
- Keep it for two or three days before use – The Kumquat absorbs the flavors and imparts its fragrance to the liquid.